Pateros Movie Nights are family friendly hits

Pateros City Council member Megan Sherrard Mike Maltais/QCH

PATEROS – A few years back Pateros City Council member Megan Sherrard had a reel good idea – movie reel good, to be more precise. Sherrard proposed that the city host a family movie night as an added attraction to the monthly Pateros Pop-up Market, another new idea to bring vendors and visitors together in Lakeshore Park during the summer season.

The Pateros school loaned its large inflatable screen and sound system that was set up in front of the multi-purpose pavilion; the public library provided the family-oriented film; families were encouraged to bring chairs and blankets to the premier outdoor showing, and the rest, as the saying goes, is history. In the fall of 2020 Sherrard proposed that the city purchase its own movie system.

“The City of Pateros partners with the Pateros Public Library to bring these showings to the community,” said Sherrard. “Librarian Ana Trejo has been a huge part of the summer movie program and the activities and events within the community.”

Sherrard delivered a review of the 2022 summer movie night project to the city council meeting on Nov. 21. She used a combination of social media feedback, survey results, and on-site data gathering to compile her analysis.

The clear message that emerges from both numbers and responses is that movie nights are a popular family event and respondents want to see them continue. For example:

            • Attendance at three of the four showings from May through August drew 100 or more viewers.

“These are great numbers for us, especially in Pateros,” Sherrard said.

            • Asked to rate the movie experience on a scale of 1-5, 5 being excellent, 92 percent of patrons rated the experience as excellent.

            • In 24 surveys taken 84 percent of audiences were Pateros residents with the remaining 16 percent from outside the city.

This year Sherrard added activities including a photo booth before each movie. The activities were coordinated with the movie theme and geared toward the younger set.

“Both the activities and photo booth were well-attended,” said Sherrard. “The real hit was the photo booth; it kind of brought everything together.”

The Pateros School District Booster Club was invited to each movie to sell popcorn and concessions.

“With the public library and the City of Pateros in partnership it’s super-positive and we hope to continue forward with it,” Sherrard said of the summer movie program.






User menu

NCW Media Newspapers