Monday, March 4, 2024

DOC provides LIHEA funds for energy bills



OKANOGAN COUNTY - The state Department of Commerce has made additional funds available to help residents pay their energy bills through the federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program. Funds are first-come, first-served.

Qualifying households could receive up to $500 in energy assistance if they have been affected by COVID-19, such as income loss, business shutdown or health issues from the virus. The household must also be at or below 125 percent of the federal poverty level, such as an annual income of $32,188 for a family of four. Households also must have received – or will receive – a LIHEAP benefit in the current program year (Oct. 2019 - Oct. 2020).

Okanogan County PUD customers could also be eligible for Project Help funds, a donation-based program that helps PUD customers with bills when there is an unexpected loss of income or other emergency situation.

Local funds are distributed through Okanogan County Community Action Council. For more information online. Any residents concerned about paying their energy bill can contact Community Action at 509-422-4041 or 1-877-641-0101. Appointments will be over the phone, not in-person during COVID-19 restrictions.



No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here